Saturday 28 December 2019

Green tomato chutney

This summer, the tomato plants went agreeably nuts in the garden.  I had many pounds of ripe red ones. These were multi-saladed, of course. Delish.

As the summer chilled down to autumn, there were inevitably loads of green tomatoes left hanging, which I knew wouldn't ripen.

So I made them into this...


This was the state of the tomato plants after an already decent harvest.


I had about 8 pounds (3+ kilos). Here are some of them


These were cleavered prior to boiling down...


...and popped into my big pan...


There is also about three quarters of a largish swede diced and added, but you can't see it here. This gives it crunch.

Then it was spiced with ginger, paprika, garlic powder, a bit of cinnamon and a dash of Angostura bitters...


...and a big wodge of muscavado...


All were boiled to shit for ages, until they 'came a thick dark paste of loveliness. 



No comments:

Post a Comment